1. Name: Amanda
2.Tell us about your race experience: I’ve been a runner pretty much my whole life. After high school I picked up the distance running bug and have been running mostly half and full marathons. I just finished my 6th marathon, now the task of picking the next one!
3. What race did you run? Twin Cities Marathon, Oct 7. Second time running it, it truly is one of the most beautiful marathons out there!
4. Why did you sign up for this race? I wanted to do another marathon without the hassle of traveling and hotels so it just made sense to do the TC Marathon. It’s a great course with awesome spectators! I have done to 10 mile 4 times and the marathon twice. I envision myself running either of those races every year as long as I live in the cities.
5. What/who inspires you to run? Nobody in particular. I just love to run, the way I feel after running and especially racing is the best feeling. I can’t imagine my life without it.
6. What is your best training tip? Listen to your body. If you’re feeling rundown or sick you probably can afford a day or two off. If you have aches and pains that won’t go away it’s best to not run through the pain (unless it’s minor) I’ve learned this the hard way.
7. Water or Sports Drink? I used to say water, until I discovered nuun, now I’m all for it!
8. Tell us about the outcome of the race: I had two goals for this race, to break 4 hours and to PR. My PR came back in 2003 when I was taking a marathon training class in college, I ran a 3:48.40. I was hoping that I could run that fast but I wasn’t completely convinced.
I ended up running a 3:59.31, even though I didn’t PR I was completely happy with the race. I felt great throughout, the weather was beautiful, and the spectators were plentiful. I had to push the last two miles HARD to get my goal but I did it and I couldn’t be happier. I followed the “Train like a Mother, Own it Marathon Plan” and it was the best thing for me. I can’t wait to beat my PR someday, I know I can do it!
9. Your favorite post-race indulgence? A delicious craft beer! Preferably a nice dark porter or stout!
10. Favorite part of racing in a Sparkle Skirt?
All the cheers! It’s so helpful when you know someone has noticed you! I got a lot of “go pink skirt!” “Go team sparkle!” Etc.
I loved it! I plan on purchasing one and racing in it often!
I’ll probably even use it for my upcoming cross country ski races!
Blog: From the Tap
Race recap HERE
Follow Jolene on Twitter at @madtapper
The Traveling Sparkle Skirts are a pair of Sparkle Athletic Running Skirts (one Hot Pink & one Turquoise) that travel the globe spreading the Sparkle Athletic love. Read more stories of the Traveling Sparkle Skirts HERE.