1. Name: Mindy
2.Tell us about your race experience: I started running in 2007 when I joined a Training Group to run my first 5k. I wasn’t very successful and didn’t love running. Then I lost 50 pounds in 2009 and decided to try running again. It stuck this time and I trained for and ran my first 10k in 2011. After crossing the finish line of the Cooper River Bridge Run in Charleston, SC I decided I wanted to do a half marathon. I spent most of 2010 and 2011 running 2-3 times a week with friends and groups, but I still didn’t consider myself a “runner”. It took a while before I finally committed to a race. I ran my first official half marathon on August 11, 2012.
3. What race did you run? I ran the Honolulu Marathon on December 9th, 2012. It was the 40th annual running of this race and it turned out to be the 2nd largest marathon in the world in 2012.
4. Why did you sign up for this race? I watched a good friend cross the finish line of the same race in 2011 and was so inspired by those who were running. I registered for the 2012 race in January of 2012 knowing that if I signed up, I wouldn’t back down.
5. What/who inspires you to run? I mostly run for myself- The thought of going from a 200lb out of shape person 3 years ago to someone that could possibly run and finish a marathon was crazy, but I knew I wanted to do it. I love pushing my body. I love the training schedules. I love the feeling during and after a long run. I love inspiring those around me to go out and run, no matter how short the distance or how long it takes them.
6. What is your best training tip? Get good shoes! And spend the money for good socks. Your feet are the most important things you have- baby them!
7. Water or Sports Drink? Yellow Gatorade all the way. Honestly though, I wear a hydration/fuel belt and I do one bottle of water and one with Gatorade.
8. Tell us about the outcome of the race: My official time was 5:01:50, which was exactly where I wanted to be. My goal was under 5 hours and that official time included a longer than expected 5 minute bathroom stop. So if you ask me, my time was 4:55.
9. Your favorite post-race indulgence? Burger, fries and a milkshake!
10. Favorite part of racing in a Sparkle Skirt? Feeling like a pretty princess! I loved the sparkle and how easy it was to run in! I think it made me run faster, too!
Follow Mindy on Twitter at @mindymilner
The Traveling Sparkle Skirts are a pair of Sparkle Athletic Running Skirts (one Hot Pink & one Turquoise) that travel the globe spreading the Sparkle Athletic love. Read more stories of the Traveling Sparkle Skirts HERE.