1.Name: Michelle Huston
2.Tell us about your past race/running experience: I have been running since I was in 6th grade. Since then, I have run 5K to 50-mile trail races. I’ve completed 15 marathons. I ran by myself for many years. I’ve never taken a trip without my running shoes and I feel like I have seen the most awesome parts of the world on foot. A few years ago I started running with a group. Wow, I had no idea how much that would impact my running or my life. Sharing the experience with others who love running added a whole new dimension to the sport that I am so passionate about. I have laughed, cried, screamed and everything in between on runs with my running partners. A good friend of mine puts it best, “these people are my church.” I have become a better person and runner because of the people I have been fortunate to run with over the years.
3. What race did you run? I ran the Charlottesville 10-miler in Charlottesville, Virginia in the sparkle skirt.
4. Why did you sign up for this race? I signed up for the C-Ville 10-miler because it is one of my favorite distances to race and because it has great local crowd support.
5. What/who inspires you to run? I had to give this some thought to this because there are many things and people that inspire me to run. But, honestly, I am most inspired by seeing my parents lead an active and healthy lifestyle. It was clear to me at a young age that a healthy lifestyle pays off. Both of my parents used to run and now they walk. It is comforting knowing they are still out there busting it up.
6. What is your best training tip? REST days!
7. Water or Sports Drink? H2O
8. Tell us about the outcome of the race: This was a tough race for me. It was the first true warm-weather run of the season. Living in DC we were plagued with a brutal winter with back-to-back blizzards. Overnight we got a heat wave. My body was used to cold. Also, this race is run on a very hilly course – I have not been training on hills for a while. I was running faster than I had been training for (I figured had to do the skirt justice.) Bottom, line I was happy to get over that finish line and be done! My time was 79 minutes and change. I wanted to come in under 80 – the skirt helped me squeak it in.
9. Your favorite post-race indulgence? Chocolate milk or a coffee Frappuchino
10. Favorite part of racing in a Sparkle Skirt? The honest to goodness encouragement that came from the spectators and other runners who commented on the skirt. Also, that I passed a few runners who said, “that skirt makes me happy.” You know what? It made me happy too – funny how a little sparkle can do that.
The Traveling Sparkle Skirts are a pair of Sparkle Athletic Running Skirts (one Hot Pink & one Turquoise) that travel the globe spreading the Sparkle Athletic love. Read more stories of the Traveling Sparkle Skirts HERE.