1. Name: Jennifer
2.Tell us about your past race/running experience: I’ve only really gotten into running in the last year or two. I ran my first 10K in July of 2008, and I really enjoyed it! Since then I’ve run two more 10Ks, a few 5Ks, and then my most recent race — my first half marathon! I hope to start running races on a more regular basis.
3. What race did you run? I ran the Atlanta Half Marathon on Thanksgiving morning with one of my good friends that I’ve known since Kindergarten and fellow sparkle skirt wearer.
4. Why did you sign up for this race? I signed up for the half because I wanted a challenge. I really enjoy running 10Ks, but I wanted to see if I could push myself further, and I knew that attempting to run 13.1 miles would require me to do so.
5. What/who inspires you to run? My mom is a big runner, and she always has been! We like to run races together when we can. It’s a great excuse to spend time together, and even though she’s much faster than I am, she’s a great running partner because she encourages me throughout the run. It’s harder to give up when there’s someone running with you!
6. What is your best training tip? Be consistent! I got really busy and slacked off on my training. I should have made myself keep up with my schedule, even when it was tough to fit a run in.
And remember everyone has bad days! Don’t let a bad race or a bad training run get you down.
7. Water or Sports Drink? Sports drink!
8. Tell us about the outcome of the race: My only goals were to finish, to run the whole time (no matter how slowly), and to not hold my friend back, as she has run multiple half and full marathons. I succeeded in accomplishing all three goals! This was by far the most physically challenging thing I’ve ever done, but it was really fun. Maybe next time I’ll be braver and set an actual time goal for myself.
9. Your favorite post-race indulgence? I’m spoiled now . . . Running a race Thanksgiving morning was great because I was rewarded by a day full of amazing food. I wish that happened every time I had a race!
10. Favorite part of racing in a Sparkle Skirt? It’s hard to name one favorite! As everyone else said, it’s nice to have strangers – fellow competitors and spectators alike – encouraging you because they like your “tutu.” When my friend and I crossed the finish line together, the announcer congratulated the two “Radio City Rockettes.” I also found that wearing the skirt meant more motivation not to stop because I knew everyone was looking at me! We were hard to miss!
The Traveling Sparkle Skirts are a pair of Sparkle Athletic Running Skirts (one Hot Pink & one Turquoise) that travel the globe spreading the Sparkle Athletic love. Read more stories of the Traveling Sparkle Skirts HERE.